Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tow Vehicle Brake Pads

What pads are you guys using for your tow vehicles? The guy who had the truck before me apparently liked the Auto Zone specials, but I've already had problems with heat management and as a result smells (stop and go traffic while towing was especially a problem, even with the trailer brakes set quite high). I'm thinking that for towing i'd want something that operates well at higher temps, but for when it's empty i'd be better off with something with a better cold temp bite. Thoughts?

For that matter, do you guys put ATE Super Blue or other high performance brake fluid in your tow vehicles, or just stick with the factory Ford (or Toyota as the case may be) stuff?

6 comments:

  1. I think I've just got Bendix replacement pads on my Expedition - nothing special certainly - and the truck stops fine with no drama. Are you sure that your trailer brakes are functioning? If you are really working the brakes on your truck when towing, they might not be.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're working (i even ramped them up until they would lock up when stopping). I've noticed problems when just driving on the street as well with a large load in the bed (that was within tolerances).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, being my tow vehicle came with upgraded pads I think I am good to go have not done anything with them, or the fluid for that matter.

    I don't think it would hurt to upgrade them a bit, not your DD is it?


    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to run Hawk HP-S on my tow vehicle, except on the track, where I use Hawk DTC70.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turns out hawk super duty are the way to go. those and a fresh set of rotors and now the truck stops more like a car (and the trailer brakes don't have to take up the slack from the truck). The oem like pads that were on there before were pure crap. Very dusty and no bite at all. They'd also stink driving through beltway traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good deal, glad they are working out for you.


    Foci is dead again, looking like head gasket :(

    ReplyDelete