Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Looks like I'm doing a number on my car.....








Car numbers, that is. I blew apart one of my magnetic numbers at VIR (I swear I didn't go over 200), and am in the market for new, more durable numbers. My current numbers looked nice and were real cheap (err....inexpensive). I just stuck vinyl 10" numbers from OG Racing on magnetic material, and they have worked fine for a long time. But I guess the cold, damp environment at VIR was too much for the magnetic force, and one of them gave up. Since I had also put duct tape top and bottom to prevent them from flying off and into someones windshield, the poor number plate beat itself into a ragged stump of it's former self, fortunately not hurting the car in the process.

My friend Simon Oakley has been running with the same number on his car for years without any problems, so I asked him what it was and where he got it. It turns out its a removable vinyl adhesive number from this source: http://www.soloperformance.com/

I'm going to order some from them, but am having a hard time choosing which to get. With the old numbers there was no choice; black numbers on a white background. And it was strikingly effective and quite good looking, though part of that credit has to go to the beautiful car they were on. But the choices for the new numbers are overwhelming. I narrowed it down to block slanted style type, in white. But I can't decide on a drop shadow or not, and if so, what color?

My wife suggested that since I work in PhotoShop some, I should try a couple mock-ups there. So I made a couple versions with no shadow, a black shadow, and a silver shadow. I think I like the silver shadow best.





Here are a couple pictures showing my old numbers (may they rest in piece), and the different versions I'm considering. You can click on them to see the numbers in better detail.






20 comments:

  1. I like the number with the gray/silver shadow.

    Why don't you just get the vinyl adhesive letters and apply them to the car. They would never blow off. I have considered doing this. Since my car gets 90% of its miles on track. Just one more thing to not have to put on the "things to do for track day" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, being that Doug flew by me so fast he blew my numbers off, I too had to order some new ones. Not going with a number board this time but rather 10" magnetic numbers.

    I opted for the slant as you are showing Greg, and I went with Black single color, I hope they will be visible enough... I am now thinking I should have added a white shadow or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg, can you photoshop those numbers on your car in black so I can see what mine will look like?


    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I find a side shot of your car, I'll do it on that. May take a day or so.
    I think the white stands out better on blue than black. Can you change your order?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would go with #3, has the best contrast. did you think about the static cling numbers as well? I know the number Chris and myself use are great except for in heavy rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look like more work to put on than I want to put in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ken, I have a couple PhotoChops of your numbers, but I can't find a way to post pics in a comment, and I don't want to start a new blog just for the pics. You can see them here at my Photobucket page.
    http://s429.photobucket.com/albums/qq12/gcassidy/Misc/
    I could only find a couple side pics of your car on EuroImage's site, so I had to work around the watermark. Also removing your current number plates in the shot might have altered the color slightly. If you have a good, large shot of the side of your car, that would be better to work with. But these may give you an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greg, nice job with Photoshop! I prefer the first option with the black shadow. Maybe with a little less forward slant and slightly less height.
    I need to think about new numbers as well. I've had the same magnetic set since my first NASA event in Oct., 2005. I should retire them and pick up another pair of "10's".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Greg, looks like it may work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harry, the web site I'm getting these from isn't very good at showing just how much slant they have, I'll have to take what I get. As for height, I ordered the 12" numbers. I figured they're 2 faster than 10", right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bigger numbers add hp, 1" = 10 hp. Also GRM stickers add 50 hp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I'm gonna have an extra 70 HP! I'll have to re-tune my chassis now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, my black numbers came in and they are a lil too dark. The nice folks at Solo..... siad they will give a full refund.

    So I am going to order some new ones.

    I am leaning towards White only, block, and straight.... trying to keep it simple I guess.

    What did you end up with Greg?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mine haven't arrived yet. Maybe it takes longer to make them with a shadow. Or else it takes longer to get the horspower into the 12" numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, go tmy new numbers today.

    I ended up with Block, slant, cardinal red with a a white outline.

    They look AWESOME.... really jump off the car..


    very happy with the new ones..will get a pick up when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My numbers came in today. They look great, but the 9 is a 6.

    Usually that wouldn't matter, but these have drop shadows, so it's upside down. I called and they are sending me two 9s tomorrow. Very nice company to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just run with 60, being that is your age!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Once the number 9's arrive, I'll have the option to do that. Or 69, or 96, or 06, or 09, or even 66 on one side, and 99 on the other. Cornerworkers would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can use them on the top of the car Nascar Style :)

    ReplyDelete