Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mustang

I've been a member of the Mustang Club of America for a number of years. MCA has been representing the Mustang owner in America since 1976, and their monthly publication, Mustang Times, goes out to the membership of over 11,000. I sent in a couple photos and a few items about my car, and was surprised when spotlighted it in the "My Mustang" section.



Below is the copy so you don't need a magnifying glass.




It's a 1998 SVT Cobra Mustang, and here's the story of how it came to sit in my garage. In the late 60's, I learned to drive on my Mom's '65 Mustang coupe (Bronze, 289 w/AC), but had to part with it when I moved out.

Then came a 14 year spell of riding and road racing motorcycles. I met my wife then, and we suffered through an old van and a new Civic. By 1985, we got her a Black Mustang GT that she loved. Then came the kids, minivans, and the Mustang went for a 1990 T-Bird SuperCoupe, which was all mine. By 2001, the T-Bird was acting up, and I wanted another Mustang "so I could always find parts for it". But I knew I wanted something special, so we answered an ad for a Blue Mustang Cobra.

As soon as we saw it from a block away in the dealer's lot, we knew it was our next car. I drove it home that day. We had planned to keep it stock, like the previous cars. But I had been out of road racing for too many years. Once I found out about Open Track events, I took the money from selling some of our motorcycles, and put in a roll bar, rear gears, braided brake lines, and hit the track. And have been modifying it and running it at Open Track events ever since. I've also gotten active in a number of Mustang and Cobra clubs, both local and national. And have gone to shows, planned cruises, and even been to the drag strip and autocrosses with it. But in my opinion, that's just too much waiting for too little track time.

Here's the current information about it:
Base car SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible: 4.6 V8, duel overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, 13" front disk brakes, Bright Atlantic Blue.ModificationsChassis: Brooks Performance Stage IV Suspension including: Kenny Brown sub frame connectors and Extreme Matrix system, Maximum Motorsports pan hard rod, '95 Cobra R springs, Bilstein shocks/struts, KB lower control arms, urethane bushings, 3.90 gearing, Brembo calipers and rotors, brake cooling ducts, Steeda bumpsteer kit, X-2 ball joints, Custom front cross-brace with KB G-Load brace, Steeda adjustable rear sway bar, Cobra R 17x9 wheels w/BFG R1 slicks (17x8 wheels with full tread Proxie RA1s for rain). Stein Replica 17x9 wheels with Falken Azenis RT-615 tires for the street.

Engine: BBK cold air intake, Canton roadrace oil pan, Magnaflow catted X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1 catback, Odyssey battery.Interior: Autopower roll bar, Hunsaker seats, 6 pt G-Force harness, MGW shifter, oil pressure/oil temp/water temp gauges.

Most work done by Brooks Performance, Chambersburg, PA. and Bill's Automotive Performance, Silver Spring, MD. and myself.

1 comment:

  1. Nice write Greg, makes feel like I should have started at a much hyounger age.

    Makes you look OLD too :)


    Ken

    ReplyDelete